Calworks Advocate, Full Time, Reports to Manager of Community Partnership
Responsible for maintaining the CalWORKS/Next Door Solutions to Domestic Violence collaboration; advocating on behalf of victims/survivors of domestic violence who seek services through CalWORKS program of Santa Clara County; providing additional resources and to provide information and education through informal discussions and formal presentations. This position is housed within the San Jose CalWORKS OFFICE.
- Provide crisis counseling and intervention for clients both through appointments and as walk-ins at all CalWORKS sites in Santa Clara County;
- Provide domestic violence services within the frame work of women defined advocacy;
- In partnership with client, develop and update risk assessment and safety plan;
- Refer clients to Next Door Solutions services and other relevant community resources;
- Accompany clients to court when required;
- Provide follow up contact throughout client’s participation in CalWORKS;
- Develop and maintain relationships with CalWORKS staff in all Santa Clara locations;
- Keep CalWIN data systems and client files updated daily;
- Prepare and provide formal presentations on domestic violence to various audiences;
- Attend monthly program meetings, Next Door Solutions All Staff meetings, and CalWORKS meetings;
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent three years’ experience in working with victims of domestic violence;
- Must be bilingual / Spanish;
- Requires a valid California driver’s license, car and insurance;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral);
- Ability to communicate effectively with clients in individual setting as well as present information to a larger audience;
- Ability to work in a crisis atmosphere;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision;
- Ability to work within multiple governmental agencies and office cultures;
- Ability to travel in Santa Clara County.
Next Door Solutions to Domestic Violence (NDS) is a nonprofit organization located in San Jose. Since 1974, NDS has been providing critical intervention and prevention services to domestic violence survivors and their children. NDS’ advocacy services include survivor-defined intervention from crisis to self-sufficiency. NDS is a community leader, known for its advocacy orientation to achieve its mission of ending domestic violence in the moment and for all time. As one of the leading local agencies in the domestic violence field, NDS takes pride in its grassroots legacy, commitment to systems change, and its “roll up your sleeves” culture.
Next Door Solutions is an equal opportunity employer committed to developing the leadership skills of people from diverse backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, age, color, disability (physical and mental, includes HIV and AIDS), genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion (includes religious dress and grooming), sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, or request for FMLA.