Self Sufficiency Advocate, Full Time (Bilingual Spanish)
The Self-Sufficiency Advocate is responsible for providing comprehensive services to survivors of domestic violence, helping to create a path from crisis to self-sufficiency. The Advocate assists clients in achieving personal, financial, employment, and housing goals. The Advocate will provide extensive safety planning, risk assessment counseling, intervention planning, referrals, and support.
- Conduct individual sessions with clients to identify needs, set goals, make referrals and track client progress
- Provide long term case management including safety planning, risk assessment, intervention planning
- Identify pre-housing obstacles and work with the client to overcome these obstacles; support clients in finding and securing safe and affordable housing and continue to work with the client after housing is obtained with intensive case management
- Coordinate referrals and connections with other service agencies as needed.
- Maintain client files and records
- Maintain current referral/resource information and network in the community to keep referrals active and up to date
- Submit monthly statistical reports
- Attend monthly department meetings and Next Door Solutions All Staff meetings.
- Meet with management for supervision monthly and as needed
- Maintain up-to-date training on domestic violence and other related topics
- BA, BSW, or AA degree plus 3 years of experience in the provision of domestic violence services
- Knowledge of trauma-informed services
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work individually one-on-one with clients and as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and multitask
- Ability to meet assigned deadlines
- Must be available for occasional evening assignments
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) required
- Knowledge of domestic violence with 40-hour Domestic Violence Training certificate preferred
Next Door Solutions to Domestic Violence (NDS) is a nonprofit organization located in San Jose. Since 1974, NDS has been providing critical intervention and prevention services to domestic violence survivors and their children. NDS’ advocacy services include survivor-defined intervention from crisis to self-sufficiency. NDS is a community leader, known for its advocacy orientation to achieve its mission of ending domestic violence in the moment and for all time. As one of the leading local agencies in the domestic violence field, NDS takes pride in its grassroots legacy, commitment to systems change, and its “roll up your sleeves” culture.
Next Door Solutions is an equal opportunity employer committed to developing the leadership skills of people from diverse backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, age, color, disability (physical and mental, includes HIV and AIDS), genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion (includes religious dress and grooming), sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, or request for FMLA.