Youth and Family Advocate, M-F 11:00 am to 8:00 pm
Bilingual Spanish/English Required. The Youth & Family Advocate provides both individual and group support, peer-counseling, and appropriate learning to children, youth and families who have experienced domestic violence. This advocate will provide emotional and practical support to the children/teens and their parents. Advocate will also provide support to school-based prevention projects.
Responsibilities, Skills & Abilities:
- Work closely with the Manager of Support Services to plan and implement case management for children and youth and parents.
- Assist families with school related requests and supplies.
- Work with parents to access resources and services related to children/youth and parenting.
- Assist mothers with parenting questions, resources and provide one to one educational parenting sessions as appropriate.
- Provide advocacy, information and referrals and crisis intervention services as needed.
- Act as liaison and technical support to Alum Rock Counseling Center on school based prevention curriculum.
- Develop and facilitate a drop-in teen space.
- Completion of CA Domestic Violence 40 hour training
- Education or experience equivalent to Bachelor’s degree in early childhood education, psychology, counseling, social work or related field.
- Minimum of two years progressive experience working directly with children/youth in shelter or other, similar setting with at least six months’ experience working with domestic violence.
- Commitment to services that enrich children’s lives and that are developmentally appropriate experiences for our young clients.
- Knowledge of ACEs and the needs of children exposed to domestic violence.
- Knowledge of youth violence prevention strategies and evidence based practices.
- Dedication to supporting children in culturally competent ways.
- Excellent organization, time management and follow-up skills.
- Ability to work as a part of a team.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) required.
- Completed CPR certification.
- Requires valid California driver’s license, car and insurance.
Next Door Solutions to Domestic Violence (NDS) is a nonprofit organization located in San Jose. Since 1974, NDS has been providing critical intervention and prevention services to domestic violence survivors and their children. NDS’ advocacy services include survivor-defined intervention from crisis to self-sufficiency. NDS is a community leader, known for its advocacy orientation to achieve its mission of ending domestic violence in the moment and for all time. As one of the leading local agencies in the domestic violence field, NDS takes pride in its grassroots legacy, commitment to systems change, and its “roll up your sleeves” culture.
Next Door Solutions is an equal opportunity employer committed to developing the leadership skills of people from diverse backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of ancestry, age, color, disability (physical and mental, includes HIV and AIDS), genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion (includes religious dress and grooming), sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and/or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, or request for FMLA.